Re: WEIRD ext2fs dir size BUG?

Sun, 1 Mar 1998 21:48:26 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Ext2fs, like most Unix filesystems, doesn't shrink the size of the
> directory after files have been deleted. Usually, this isn't a
> problem. If it is, you can always rmdir and mkdir the directory to
> reclaim the extra blocks.

It would be nice, especially for a news server running INN
(hmm... this seems to be a pretty good pathological worst
case lately), to shrink the directory, say, if the contents
warrant a significantly smaller directory. This would keep
the number of huge (and slow) directories down, considering that
a lot of groups get occasional very large floods.

Simon Karpen slk@shodor.org
Sysadmin, Shodor Education Foundation

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage