Re: Sporadious hang on 2.0.3[0,1,2,3,4pre2]

G. Sumner Hayes (sumner@collegium.adsl.net.cmu.edu)
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 16:18:44 -0500

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> wrote:
> So, the next question is, how many people that have been having the
> hang/reboot/general blow up and die problems also had memory leaks
> under earlier 2.0.3x kernels?

Not noticeably under 2.0.29; I went straight from there to 2.0.33 (with
hangs) to 2.0.34-preX (with hangs). I've just applied Alan's tcpdebug
patch to 2.0.34-pre-mumble; next hang I get I'll see if the tcpdebug
gives anything useful and if not I'll build and boot 2.0.31 and try to
pinpoint exactly which kernel this problem appeared in for me (binary
search!). MTBF is around six days, so it could be a while before I get
another hang.

I'm the one who saw a month of uptime while another Linux machine on the
localnet was down, only to have a mysterious hang the day after it came
back up; the other machine was running xntp, but I killed that last week
and I got another hang last night. It's still suspicious (to me, at
least) that my only uptime > 8 days was for a whole month that coincided
with the only month that machine was down. I've been trying to play
with the other machine some to see if I can make mine hang consistently,
but no luck so far. It's running SMB, Linux-2.0.30, sshd. I'll keep
investigating that front as well, but it could be pure coincidence.

-Sumner

--
rage, rage against the dying of the light