Re: New Feature Idea: Compress swap file

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 06:24:21 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Marty Leisner wrote:

> Any hard numbers on cpu time versus disk wait? Also how much
> compression will be achieved...

Disk transfer time is absolutely minimal, especially when
compared to disk seek time...
And disk seek time isn't at all affected by swap compression.
If you want swap performance, clustering and read-ahead are
the way to go.
If, OTOH, you want a smaller swap file, compression might be
the way to do it... But remember this is a whole other problem.

Rik.