Re: New Feature Idea: Compress swap file

BlueFlux (blueflux@technologist.com)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 01:07:14 +0100 (MET)

This is realy not my area but i got an mail about this some days ago on
another mailing list. What it said was the an company called american
technologies are about to develop an new HD deriving from alien
technology(yes of course this sounds like total bullshit, but that
probably isnt more than some promotional thing to make themselfs heard
of). Anyways, these new HD's would have something like an average seek
time of 0.000? ms and an capacity of some 60 megs/second. This isnt all
but they also said their first production lines would be able to handle
about 90 gigs of space..it would also have NO moving parts which would
have any degree of wearage(sp?)!

Ok so what is my point then? With there would be no meaning of making any
compression on the swap files as there would be enough speed in these new
harddrives to kick ass without any compression.

(disclamer: sorry for being an bit unclear but im pretty tired right now
and i might have gotten some things wrong.)

If someone would want more info i might dig the original message out from
the others and send his way or perhaps even to the list.

http://blueflux.home.ml.org