Re: mmap() versus read()

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 18:26:44 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> How long does it take to service and complete a transaction, assuming
> all data is in RAM?

I haven't put it into an environment where I can test it and be happy that
I'm producing real-life answers. It should be essentially "as fast as the
kernel can shovel from the disk/ram to the net and deal with context
switches". If anyone wants the required patches to 1.3 to play with this
contact me off-list... it won't be part of apache-1.3 it was just an
experiment: "if I go over the top, and throw portability and features out
the window, can I get rid of all the syscalls?".

Apache-1.3 will take a minimum of um, 9 per request I think the number
is... three of them are signal manipulations, two are calls to time(), and
there's open/mmap/munmap/close. On top of that there are another 10 or so
required to set up and tear down the connection -- which are amortized on
persistant connections.

Dean