Re: [patch] 2.1.89, 2GB physical memory, CONFIG_MAX_MEMSIZE

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
9 Mar 1998 06:18:32 GMT

Followup to: <Pine.LNX.3.96.980309032803.23721A-100000@chiara.csoma.elte.hu>
By author: MOLNAR Ingo <mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Trevor Johnson wrote:
>
> > > Does there exist a patch for 2.0.33 that will permit the use of
> > > 2GB of physical memory?
> >
> > Ingo Molnar made a patch for 2.1.77 or so. I think it only works with the
> > Pentium Pro. [...]
>
> the patch works on my 2x P5 SMP board also. Here is a new version against
> 2.1.89, it removes all those hardcoded constants and adds
> CONFIG_MAX_MEMSIZE, max physical memory is settable:
>
> (Pentium/K5/5x86/6x86) Processor family
> [ ] Math emulation
> [*] More than 1 gigabyte physical memory
> (0x80000000) Max physical memory
>
> this constant is properly fed into all other kernel places, there should
> be no more 0xc0000000 dependencies left. Both 2G/2G and 3G/1G splits have
> been sanity booted and i havent had any problems so far.
>
> [there still seem to be lots of compile-time dependencies on PAGE_OFFSET,
> so that making it a config-time option seems to be the right solution.
> There would be too much overhead from a run-time setup i think.]

Perhaps it would be saner to specify this number in megabytes; it
could be decimal then.

-hpa

--
    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD  1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key