Re: 2.1.89 doesn't compile

Jim Noe (stiker@northlink.com)
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 17:38:09 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Melvin Smith <melvin.smith@mci.com>
To: 'linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu' <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sunday, March 08, 1998 10:27 PM
Subject: 2.1.89 doesn't compile

>I patched a clean 2.1.88 with patch-2.1.89 and the coda fs stuff pretty
much
>Mucks things up. Missing 'coda_fs_i.h', missing struct definition
"coda_inode_info", etc.

> Melvin

I had the same problem (missing coda_fs_i.h) with a vanilla 2.1.88

Strange thing is, the patch applied cleanly, with not a single *.rej.

After the patch 'coda_fs_i.h' and a few other new (created by the patch)
files showed up in /usr/src/linux, but not in their proper spots in the tree
(/usr/include/linux, for coda_fs_i.h)

Got a clean compile by doing 'patch -p0 < patch-2.1.89' instead of just
'patch < patch-2.1.89'
And all the 'patch created' files were in the right spots.

Why would this make such a difference? From the man pages I gather that
'patch' defaults with -p0.
(a lil' offtopic, but a soon to be kernel hacker, so help me out a bit :)

Patch version was 2.1

Chris Noe
(stiker@northlink.com)