Re: mmap() versus read()

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:39:19 -0800

From: Perry Harrington <pedward@sun4.apsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 13:46:14 -0800 (PST)

Pardon me if I seem a little confrontational, I'm not the only one
who sees clone() as costly. Also, compare these to Solaris thread
creation and such, you'll find that solaris can do some pretty good
stuff on a lowly machine. (Perish the thought!)

On an Ultra at least, Linux fork()+exit()'s 3 times faster than
Solaris even when lat_proc is run under strace. And it is a known
fact that Solaris performs thread switches slower than normal process
switches.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com