Re: SPAM on linux-kernel (was Re: Forwarded mail....)

Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/linux/kernel/news/@TEQUILA.SYSTEMSZ.CS.YALE.EDU)
10 Mar 1998 17:09:29 -0500

owner-linux@wordsmith.org writes:
> > If the list is not already closed to subscribers, closing it might help.
> This is not an option. Too many people read through mail->news gateways,
> mail exploders, via the web, etc., and we don't want to stop them from
> posting.

It seems that there's a half-decent way around it:

- keep a list of authorized posters (which could be a superset of the
mailing-list)
- when a mail comes from a non-autorized user, send back a request for
acknowledgement.
- the acknowledgment first adds the email address to the authorized-posters
list and second sends the actual mail to the mailing-list.

It's similar to auto-moderation except that it only happens once per email
address (unless you do a regular garbage collection of the authorized-posters
list to keep it within reasonable size)

Stefan