Re: 2.1.89 won't boot!

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 00:05:48 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Christopher Butler wrote:

> 2.1.89 won't boot on my machine. It gets as far as "Freeing unused
> kernel memory", then nothing much happens. The three-finger salute
> still works though. I've tried with "init=/bin/sh", but that does the
> same.
>
> My .config file:
> CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
> CONFIG_EXT2_COMPRESS=y
> CONFIG_EXT2_IND_BITMAP=y
> CONFIG_EXT2_USE_GZIP=y
> CONFIG_GZ_HACK=y
> CONFIG_EXT2_DEFAULT_COMPR_METHOD_GZIP9=y
> CONFIG_EXT2_DEFAULT_CLUSTER_BITS_5=y

> CONFIG_APM=y
> CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
> CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
> CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
> CONFIG_APM_POWER_OFF=y

These would be the area's in which to suspect bad code.
Since .89 is working for loads of people, we should hear
about APM errors from other people too, but it could be
your mainboard.
And I believe there also have been some changes to the
ext2 filesystem. Maybe they broke when used together with
the e2compr patch?

Rik.