Re: ParPort problem ?

Woody (woody@abcs.com)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 21:24:48 -0500

Jason Saggers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running kernel 2.1.88 and have both a Parrellel ZIP Drive and a
> parralel printer hooked up.
>
> The ZIP drive work fine (if not faster than before), but when printing to
> the printer it prints (text) about 3 lines, pausess for about 5 - 8
> minutes and then prints another 3 lines and so on.
>
> Jason
>
> -

As discussed earlier, I think that this particular problem is directly
related to 2.1.88 and .89's little (I use that term loosely!) memory swapping
problem......as you know, printing in any OS consumes a little
memory......with the present state of the devel kernels, .88 and .89, the 5-8
minute wait is no surprise, especially if your running a machine on 16 M of
RAM. Take it from me, even writing this email with Celine Dion's, My Heart
Will Go On, in mp3 format playing in the background causes the mp3 to pause
for 5 seconds and my HD to spin madly.....maybe I need to reboot to my 2.0.33
kernel.....:) Anyway, enough of me, you might try the patch provided earlier
by one of the coders on here and see if it helps....sure can't hurt....or
could it? :)))

Woody
woody@abcs.com
"Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom smashers, and a
beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a
chimpanzee, and I care not who writes the nations laws!"