Re: ulimit

Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:48:21 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Marc RIESS wrote:

> Hello,
> I've a problem at the Linux boot :
> >INIT: version 2.69 booting
> >ulimit: not found
> >Adding swap: 66492k swap-space (priority 1)
> >/etc/rc.d/rc.S: cannot create Testing filesystem status: read-only filesystem
> >INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
> >ulimit: not found
> >Going multiuser...
> And it run rc.M, so I'm on read-only filesystem !
> the message : "ulimit: not found" appears when i'm login or logout too
> I think the problem came form ulimit,
> but i don't found any documentation on it.
> My /etc/rc.d/* and inittab are same before the bug !
> Do you have an idea ?

The 'ulimit` command comes from /etc/initscript which is executed by
every program that `init` wants to spawn.

You might execute `which ulimit` to find if it's in the path. You
do not need ulimit to boot. Just comment it out to find where the
real problems are.

You can remount the root file-system r/w interactively for testing...

# mount -n -o remount /

Then you can edit /etc/initscript

Remember to dismount in manually before re-boot, i.e.,

# cd /
# kill -TERM -1
# sync
# kill -KILL -1
# umount -a

Now you can hit the reset switch.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.87 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).