RE: your mail

Matthew Benjamin (MBenjamin@comshare.com)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:42:52 -0500

1. I maintain a multithreaded comms library on Solaris, AIX, and HPUX.
For the heck of it, I ported it to Linux. Preprocessor targets are
required for EACH platform. Sure, it's all POSIX, but somehow, the
pthread interface on each platform is slightly different. I don't need
to tell you that the easiest platform to support is Solaris, debugging
under DDD/dbx.

The intent of my statement was, if the LinuxThreads interface could be
_exactly_ like any one of UNIXes, I'd prefer it be Solaris. If you say,
LinuxThreads should implement the latest POSIX draft, that's excellent.
But then, currently, it doesn't.

2. Point taken, but I think multithreaded debugging is important enough
to justify the work of creating an integrated solution. I'm not the
only person who thinks that, surely?

Matt Benjamin