Re: MMX bzero of a page...

Pat St. Jean (psj@cgmlarson.com)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:08:52 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Perry Harrington wrote:
>The snippet I posted was specifically designed for a bulk page clearing
>purpose. I do realize the expense of MMX, with FPU regs and all. In this
>case, MMX could make clearing pages trivial. I haven't found an instruction
>list with clock tick counts yet. I could just implement this and use rdtsc,
>but I don't know if my assembler supports MMX instructions, anyone???

Have y'all given any thought to chips like the K6 that have SEPARATE MMX
units. IIRC, they don't have that penalty for saving and restoring the FP
state.

Pat

--
Patrick St. Jean              '97 XLH 883                psj@cgmlarson.com
Programmer & Systems Administrator                    +1 713-977-4177 x115