Re: 2.1.90-pre2: "kernel: Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?"

Benjamin Redelings I (bredelin@ucsd.edu)
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:06:20 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Hi, I just got the error message "kernel: Sound: DMA (output) timed out
> > - IRQ/DRQ config error?" in my log. I was playing an mp3 file and using
>
> This is caused if the kernel doesnt see an IRQ its expecting to indicate
> a DMA sound block completed in time. I can see it could happen under
> extreme duress but it may indicate someone dropped an IRQ

Hmmmm... I wasn't using much, mainly netscape, which sometimes uses a lot
of CPU for a short period of time. But the load was pretty low (e.g. less
than 1...the burst didn't show up cuz it was too short). Which might
indicate a sound error...

I have a SB16 card, and was playing mp3 files, so I don't think any of the
midi stuff is involved.

-BenRI