Re: Warning, cua2 opened, ...

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 21:05:36 -0500

Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:31:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Dave Wreski <dave@nic.com>

> P.S. Paul Gortmaker's patches to display more information about which
> programs were using the /dev/cuaXX devices is a Good Thing. I should
> have thought of doing that, but I didn't.

Would it be disasterous to change their major number to be the same, or
convince the distribution maintainers to make cua -> tty?

/dev/cuaXX devices have different behaviour than /dev/ttySxx devices, so
it's probably not a good idea to symlink them. The trick is that we
need to stop users from using them --- so the right thing to do is to
convince distribution maintainers to *remove* the cua* devices, and then
make sure they have updated programs and shell scripts that properly
deal with the /dev/ttySxx devices.

- Ted