Re: still sound problems....

J. Maynard Gelinas (jmg@iac.net)
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 00:28:03 -0500 (EST)

[followup below - various snipping]

> From: Itai Nahshon <nahshon@actcom.co.il>
> Subject: Re: still sound problems....
>
> J. Maynard Gelinas wrote:
> > make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
> > [root@marquez linux]#
> >
> > [....oooohhhhh! WIPEOUT!]
> >

> That's a whole different problem no ref. to sb_audio_ioctl. You
> just have to configure your sound card properly. The Sound part of
> the .config file that you sent on Saturday is similar to what I
> use (SOUND, SB, ADLIB, MSS, MAD16, YM3812 are modules) but The
> output that you sent now cannot be from the same .config file. It
> tries to load drivers/sound/sound.a NOT as a module. Please, check
> your config file again.

This is absolutely true, I prefer sound compiled directly into
my kernel. However, the post you refer to in your text dates several
posts back. There I built sound as a module to verify that someone
else's .config would also break. So, if no one else is having
problems with the Mad16 driver I _must_ assume that my problem is
local. If so, why does it span two distributions on two separate
hardware platforms (in my apartment)? I dunno.

May I ask, are all of those sound config options necessary? I
just use SOUND, ADLIB, and MAD16, under 2.0.x, and this works just
fine. Under 2.1.8[89] I've tried adding YM3812 because 'help'
suggests I do so. It doesn't make any difference... both options
still fail compilation. However, I will gladly accept a 'tail behind
my legs slamdunk _HERE_ is that obvious thing you missed' humiliating
email to get sound working on my box. Believe it or not, I want to
test Quake II under 2.1 SMP; this is the whole reason for my quest for
sound.

--jmg

Sound options used in previous post:

#