Re: still sound problems....

Itai Nahshon (nahshon@actcom.co.il)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 01:45:40 +0200

Zailong Bian wrote:

> You know, guys....I was trying to compile sound surport for SB16
> PnP, but the midi never worked...I read many emails about sound, but none
> of them really informative.
>
> Thanks guys, please give me some lights!

Is it possible that you just want the synth to work?
MIDI is a standard for connecting to an external musical
instrument. 99% of the people who ask about MIDI just want to play
.mid files on the synth device.

Configure "FM synthesizer (YM3812/OPL-3) support".
If you use modules, you have to 'modprobe opl3'.

If you cat /dev/sndstat, you should have these lines:
Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Go ahead and play midi files (use playmidi or xplaymidi).

Itai

--
Itai Nahshon   nahshon@actcom.co.il
        Also   nahshon@vnet.ibm.com