Re: New Feature Idea: Configurable text(msgs)

Joe Pranevich (joepran@telerama.lm.com)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 20:31:22 -0500

Captain Napalm wrote:

> (for example). The output would probably look like:
>
> KERNEL:EXEC:00066:00234:0x34
>
> Ugly yes, but it would be possible to feed through a user space program
> for translation (I probably wouldn't use __LINE__, but associate a number
> for each function). It's compact and unambiguous and will probably never be
> adapted for Linux 8-)

Check out the linux translation project a while back, they proposed a
simular thing and it was eventually not used for a variety of reasons. I
recommend that, if you can find an archive, you check out that thread
and particularly Linus's response to the whole deal.

Joe Pranevich