Re: BogoMIPS revisitied...MMX

George Bonser (grep@oriole.sbay.org)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:39:55 -0800 (PST)

Here is an interesting array:

AMD K5-100: 199.07 BMPS
INTEL P-60: 23.96 BMPS
Cryix 6x86 P150+ (at 120MHz): 52.33 BMPS
INTEL 486-DX266: 33.08 BMPS.

Why is the AMD 100MHz CPU 4x faster (in BogoMIPS) than a Cyrix running a
20% higher clock speed? I would say that the AMD CPU Microcode is
optimized more toward the type of instruction that the bogomips loop
executes. Why is it nearly 10x faster than the Intel chip?

I dunno, but I think I will buy more AMD chips ;)