Re: syslogd

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 18:31:26 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 obarlow@milehi.alphacdc.com wrote:

> I recently upgraded from 2.1.65 to 2.1.89. When the system boots, I
> receive the following message from syslog
>
> syslogd: cannot create /dev/log
>
> What has changed in the newer releases that impacted syslog?

At some point, Unix-domain sockets were made modular. Double-check your
configuration, making sure that you enable these. Can anyone explain the
rationale behind making sockets optional? It is churning up a lot of
support questions..

Perhaps the config "help" function ought to make mention of the various
critical daemons and applications which fail utterly in the absence of
Unix sockets?

Steve