Re: 2.1.90-pre2 error: Scheduling from interspt

Mike Perry (mikepery@mikepery.linuxos.org)
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:47:47 -0600 (CST)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> by and then the screen filled with 'Scheduling from interspt' and the
> system froze solid, it even turned off the numlock on my keyboard, SysRq
> didn't work, and nither did the three finger salute, the keyboard
> nothing... And there was also an SMB filesystem mounted, but the
> host computer was turned off, but I wasn't trying to access the drive.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am not familiar with SMB systems at all, but I do know that once
my brother removed a floppy late one night without unmounting it.
The next day, suddenly I was overwhelmed with screens upon screens
of errors, and I was scared into ruining my 10 day uptime by rebooting.

Turns out that cron was running updatedb, which recursed into the /floppy
mount point, and the kernel flipped. Could the same thing be happening to
you? I know that by default, Redhat schedules updatedb for 1am-ish.

I just happened to notice that the date on the message was 1:41, which is
pretty close to 1am (given transmission time and time to type the
message, and such).

Still, this shouldn't cause a crash, but hopefully it will provide
insight to track the bug.

---
Mike Perry
Maintainer of www.linuxos.org and subpages.

The first night in his new house, Gates told Walters, he watched a big-screen TV that pops up out of a console in his bedroom. But things went awry when he tried to go to sleep.

"He couldn't get it to go down, he couldn't get it to turn off, so he just put a big blanket over the thing," she said. Gates has joked that everything from light switches to music speakers goes on and off unexpectedly in the house, which is run by a high-end PC network built on Microsoft's Windows NT system.

---