Re: [patch] fork() speedup, 2.1.90

Alexander Kjeldaas (astor@guardian.no)
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:06:57 +0100

On Thu, Mar 19, 1998 at 02:29:40PM +0100, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> > The biggest overhead in current Linux's fork() latency is the creation
> > of new page tables. This patch implements 'page table caching', a way to
> > preserve constructed state after a process exits. Timings on a 100 MHz
> > P5:
> >

> Oh no, Ingo, save yourself the work and look sometimes into vger CVS.
> Page table caching is implemented for all the platforms but m68k's pgd/pmd's
> (just pte's are cached on m68k). It is tested and hopefully should go to the
> mainstream during the upcoming merge.
> But yes, it makes a big difference.
>
> There are some further things I want to do to speed up exit, but I'm waiting
> for the merge - it would be mess otherwise.

I'm implementing hashing of process groups and sessions in the normal
pidhash table. This should speed up exit as well. We now have
for_each_task_in_session, for_each_task_in_pgrp, find_task_by_pgrp,
find_task_by_session and find_session_leader. Many uses of
for_each_task can be updated to use these new functions.

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
 http://www.guardian.no/