Re: 2.1.90 toxic to my system

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 21:11:10 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Isaac Connor wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:
>
>> Currently,
>> 2.1.90 SMP (tyan IIID)
>> 64MB ram
>> Buslogic BT-958
>> IDE Cdrom
>> SB
>
>Identical system....
>
>I have kernel module problems, and running the latest rc5des client will
>cause a lock within minutes. Also, netscape dies more often, afterwards
>stability is ever decreasing until lock.

I discovered hardware problems in my dma chip using 2.1.x that 2.0.33 and
Win95 don' t showed, so don' t be sure your hardware is safe (for example
my case the bug showed itself using the sound drivers).

If you are able to lock the kernel under console apply the idk-patch from
Ingo Molnar and you will sure discover the bug (hardware or software) as I
just did fine and then my resseller replaced my motherboard for free
(after I wrote a stupid program that showed the bug under MS-DOG too of
course ;-).

Andrea[s] Arcangeli