Re: mergemem utility: tests and BUGS

Philipp Reisner (e9525415@student.tuwien.ac.at)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:01:34 +0100

Marnix Coppens wrote:

> I've done some hasty experiments with the mergemem patch on a 2.0.33 kernel.
>
> Judging by the release number (0.03), this is still very much ALPHA code,
> and from what I've witnessed, there is indeed some more work to be done
> (this is certainly not meant as a discouragement, keep coming with
> those ideas..).
>
> I'll be doing some serious debugging during the weekend, but the following
> may be worth looking into:

Thanks for your bug-report, but you should have checked the web page
more
frequently. The current release is 0.05 and 0.06 will be released within
the next days

> 1) Right now, a /proc/mergemem file is created with a (dummy) read operation,
> an open (and close) operation and a write operation that accepts a certain
> struct, whose members may change as a result. The return value of write()
> is used to indicate success or failure.
>
> Instead of this, it *really should* be a char device driver, with just three
> operations: open, close and ioctl. The ioctl operation is just right for
> this sort of stuff. The driver can then accept two kinds of ioctl requests:
> checksum and mergemem.

In the CVS it's already a character device with ioctls.
It will appear in 0.06

[...]
> To conclude, this can really be a useful tool, but right now, it's
> more like an uncut diamond :^). As promised, I'll look deeper into it
> during the next couple of days and see what exactly happens.
>
> Marnix Coppens

I will look into all issues you described, may I ask you to look also to
have
a look at a more recent version of mergemem ?
0.05 is current, 0.06 will appear tomorrow or on sunday.

Philipp Reisner