Re: Printing with HP720C

Bob Nielsen (nielsen@primenet.com)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:33:43 -0700 (MST)

>From the Ghostscript printer compatibility page,
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/printer.html:

The HP DeskJet 720C, 722C, 820C and 1000C are PPA printers. They will
not work with the PCL drivers above. You are expected to use PPA
printers with a special Windows printer driver. You might be able to
use the Ghostscript mswinpr2 device which is only available under
Windows and talks to the Windows printer driver. A PPA driver for the
HP820C does exist for Ghostscript. It was written without access to
documentation. See ftp://ftp.ig.utexas.edu/outgoing/scottk/820C/

On 20 Mar 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Followup to: <Pine.LNX.3.96.980320152422.13069A-100000@ufp.in-trier.de>
> By author: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <linux@linux.net.eu.org>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Papagrigoriou Nikos wrote:
> >
> > > Recently I bought an HP720C printer. But I cannot print under Linux. Is
> > > there any driver for this printer?
> >
> > The HP720 is a GDI printer, meaning it is made for Windoze only. Writing a
> > Linux driver would be a lot of hard work, pretty much rewriting all the
> > Windoze graphics routines.
> >

> This is what GhostScript is for, seriously. The big issue is if the
> format is documented well enough to get support into GhostScript.

---
Bob Nielsen                     Internet: nielsen@primenet.com
Tucson, AZ                      AMPRnet: w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org
                                http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen/