Re: bug in 2.1.89 include/net/sock.h?

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 15:18:22 -0800

Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 15:16:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>

> Outside of the ACK cases, the other bogus case as I mentioned is
> for clones of real outgoing data packets, used for transmission,
> the SOCK gets charged again for the entire data area when in
> reality only sizeof(struct sk_buff) more memory is being tied up
> due to the clone.

I think this is bogus. I have a strong memory of _not_ updating the
socket counters at all for cloned skb's, exactly because that would
have gotten the counts wrong. The thing used to set "skb->truesize"
to zero for this reason.

I think. It's been a long time since I worked on that code, I have
to admit.

Good, we agree. I'll work on a fix for this, so it'll get into the
TCP sync-up patch I send you tomorrow evening.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com