Re: Why is NFS so slow??

Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@zip.com.au)
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:02:12 +1100

Greg Alexander wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>
> > In theory NFS can be run over TCP connections, but I'm not sure that
> > Linux supports it yet.
>
> Just figured I'd point out that mount -o tcp nfs-server:/point mountpoint
> works.

Thanks, I didn't know that. It doesn't seem to work very well though:
under 2.1.90, when I mounted an Irix 6.5 NFS server and copied a 7MB
file to /dev/null locally, it turned the machine into a gibbering heap
for a few minutes. It seemed to cause lots of other TCP connections to
collapse, including most of my X clients.

Using UDP it copied in about 10 seconds.