Re: [OFFTOPIC?] LILO and Windows NT

Karl =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=FCnter?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?W=FCnsch (Karl.Guenter.Wuensch@neuss.netsurf.de)
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:04:22 +0100

Hi,

Mathew Burrack wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Excuse this posting, as it may be offtopic for the Kernel list, but I
> don't know where else to post such a question.
>
> Here's my situation: I have on my computer several (okay, many)
> partitions. Most of them are Win95 partitions, one is for Linux, one is
> for the Linux swap, and one more is a Windows NT partition. A while ago,
> I reformatted my Win95 boot partition, unknowingly erasing my access to
> Windows NT and Linux in the process (luckily I had my handy-dandy Linux
> boot disk right next to me....) Previously, I was using LILO to switch
> between Linux and the Win95 partition, then the Windows NT boot manager
> would kick in to ask me whether I really meant Win95 or did I mean
> WinNT. Now, of course, the WinNT boot manager isn't there anymore, and
> since I don't have my WinNT CD handy--and plus I prefer it this way--I
> was wondering if there was a method of getting LILO to recognize the
> WinNT partition as bootable. I've run LILO several times normally, just
> as if I were updating the Kernel version, but it only finds the Linux
> and Win95 partitions. Is there a special way of making it find the WinNT
> partition, or am I out of luck here?
>
> Thank you all,
> Mathew Burrack

Tough luck, but this sounds as if you fist installed Win95 followed by
WinNT.
Because there can be only one primary DOS partition Windows NT uses the
Win95 for some important files (ntldr, boot.ini, the NT-bootloader).
Even with linux available there is no way to recover NT without the NT
setup CD if you really reformatted the Win95 drive). Even the emergency
disk of NT didn't do the trick when I did almost the same thing...

Karl Günter Wünsch