Re: Modified floppies can crash Linux (fwd)

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 01:31:24 +0100

On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 11:11:25PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

> vahakang@cs.Helsinki.FI said:
> > However, I didn't think it was the kernel's fault: you really
> > _should_ fsck your fs's before mounting. I'm not sure how this should
> > be solved; doesn't ext2 panic if a similarly fatal corruption is
> > encountered?
>
> Yes. Ext2 will panic the kernel even if it can't read a block on a floppy. I
> NEVER use ext2 floppies because of this.

man mount:

errors=continue / errors=remount-ro / errors=panic
Define the behaviour when an error is encountered.
(Either ignore errors and just mark the file system
erroneous and continue, or remount the file system
read-only, or panic and halt the system.) The
default is set in the filesystem superblock, and
can be changed using tune2fs(8).

Ralf