Re: floppy (cashing?) problem

Alain Knaff (aknaff@ltnb.lu)
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:57:52 +0100 (MET)

In linux, you wrote:
> Hello.
>I have strange trouble with my floppy drive.
>Namely, in /etc/fstab I have:
>/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy ext2 user,noauto 0 0
>and when I'm mounting it following happens:
[cache not flushed]

It's a hardware problem. When you remove the disk and insert a new
one, the floppy drive is supposed to signal this event using the disk
change line. When a disk change is detected using this disk change
line, the cache is flushed.

However, the wire carrying the signal is near the edge of the cable,
and hence is the first to get damaged if the cable is kinked or
disconnect if the connectors are not inserted straight.

Try gently pushing on both the connector on the drive, and the one on
the motherboard. If that doesn't help, try getting a new cable.

Regards,

Alain