Re: Notification to user-space upon CD eject button being pressed?

Kenneth MacDonald (kenny@holyrood.ed.ac.uk)
25 Mar 1998 21:38:00 +0000

Nicolai Langfeldt <janl@math.uio.no> writes:

> Brian Rogers <brogers@why.net> writes:
> > > With IDE CDs, anyway, it isn't possible for us to do this -- the drive
> > > doesn't tell us. We can have the drive be locked or unlocked, but in
> > > unlocked position, it ejects before telling us anything, and in locked
> > > position, it doesn't tell us when the button is pressed.
> >
> > Maybe the kernel could lock the drive whenever any inodes are in use, but
> > unlock it as soon as none are in use anymore. Then it wouldn't matter
> > that IDE CD-ROM drives only notify you after the disk has been ejected,
> > because you'll be able to cleanly unmount the filesystem regardless.
>
> This sounds like the supermount patch. It's been mentioned here some
> times. I think Stephen Tweedie wrote it.

Yes, he did. Look for it in ftp://linux.dcs.ed.ac.uk/

There are some extra changes required to get device unlocking working
in SCSI zip/cd drives, at least for 2.0.x kernels.

Kenny.