Re: 1GB Limit on EXT2FS?

Dancer (dancer@brisnet.org.au)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:09:54 +1000

Hmm. I seem to recall being in this territory before, when seek() became
lseek()...guess we're about to get llseek() at this rate.

Khimenko Victor wrote:

> 25-Mar-98 15:34 you wrote:
> > Hi Jacques.

> > > The size of the partition is not the problem here. This is the
> > > size of a file. For sure you can create 9gig partition with
> > > ext2 now without problem, but you can't create a 3gig file in
> > > it.
> >
> > Does that mean there will be an ext3 filesystem soon which is
> > basically ext2 with those limits expanded?
> >
> As far as I am know this is NOT ONLY ext2 filesystem problem. Really it's more
> deep problem. It's not kernel only problem even. On i386, for example, you
> have lseek call with long (31bit on i386!) parameter and bunch of other calls
> which will prevent from working with files > 2Gig. You must not only rewrite
> part of kernel, but also part of glibc and part of each and every program
> with support of large files. Without such revriting this support will be
> unusable :-(( On 64bit computers there are no such problems and perhaps support
> of > 2Gig files will be in 2.2 for them.
>
> -

Did you read the documentation AND the FAQ?
If not, I'll probably still answer your question, but my patience will
be limited, and you take the risk of sarcasm and ridicule.