Re: The GGI and EvStack debate -- Linus and such persons please reard.

Josh Yelon (linker@nightshade.ml.org)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 01:17:56 -0500 (EST)

Very good thoughts..

I think that multi console is a wonderful thing and I hope to see it
evolve (it might make Linux the 'standard' in computer labs! think of the
savings!)

As far as bloat goes: GGI does very little.. Many people get confuesd
because GGI is actually ~3 projects: LibGGI, EvStack, and KGI..

GGI defines a thing called KGI.. This goes into the kernel.. It has video
drivers.. It's very streamlined, and IMHO achieves an exelent balence of
features/bloat. (Basicly it's the mininum you need to do both quick
accelerated video access, and still have the kernel 'keep control').

Libggi is a graphics lib that defines all kinds of wonderful things for
programmers using it (like svgalib).. Libggi does output through a lower
layer right now they support KGI, Svgalib, X, X+shm, AAlib (text mode
simulated graphics HEHEH), and a few others I can't recall.. Libggi
handles using accelration if the layer below supports it..

A program written w/ libggi should seemlessly work with all low level
handlers.. so the app should run seemlessly under both console or x..

Evstack is a redefined console subsystem.. It's got some awesome ideas..
But I dont know alot about it.. You dont need it to integrate KGI.. :)