Re: hidden functions

Dancer (dancer@brisnet.org.au)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 01:10:45 +1000

Ewww. ____IF____ I was so crass as to try this sort of thing..(and let's
face it, sometimes I am), I would put my own function in that module
under some name I made up to act as a wrapper, and call that function on
my behalf. (essentially adding a public interface with a name of my
choosing)

That prevents the static functions name from winding up in the global
namespace where the linker may DTWT with it - which can get ugly.

Mark Stacey wrote:

> I've been making some modifications to the linux kernel and I've come
> across some instances where I need to call a function from one file that's
> declared static in another.
>
> Just wondering what the general consensus from the linux maintainers is in
> this situation, should I rewrite the function, or can I remove the static
> declaration?
>
> Mark Stacey
>
> .... and that's my two cents.
>
> "Its not that I forgot, its just that I can't remember"
>
> -

Did you read the documentation AND the FAQ?
If not, I'll probably still answer your question, but my patience will
be limited, and you take the risk of sarcasm and ridicule.