Re: CDDA related bug in 2.0.33?

Jakob Borg (jb@k2.lund.se)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 17:48:11 +0000

On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 10:40:19PM +0100, Kalle Andersson wrote:

> the about 30th minute. When it reaches this, I get lots of read error and
> eventually a error msg saying that my drive doesn't support CDDA...
> My drive is a Mitsumi FX240, and it is said to support CDDA. I have also
> heard more people having this problem. One had tried 3 different IDE
> drives with the same result.

Yup. I've used the very same drive under 2.0.32, 2.1.72, 2.1.84, 2.1.89 and 2.1.90 with the same result. With 2.1.90 or newer you can use the new cdrom interface to force the speed of the cdrom drive to say 2x or 4x wich will at least _avoid_ the problem. I get error-free reading under those conditions. There is a program (and debian package) called setcd you can use.

My guess this is a hardware problem (to small buffer (256k)?)...

--
Jakob Borg
jb@k2.lund.se [finger for PGP key]