Re: CDDA related bugs in 2.1.9x?

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:53:18 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Jakob Borg wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 10:40:19PM +0100, Kalle Andersson wrote:
>
> > the about 30th minute. When it reaches this, I get lots of read error and
> > eventually a error msg saying that my drive doesn't support CDDA...
> > My drive is a Mitsumi FX240, and it is said to support CDDA. I have also
> > heard more people having this problem. One had tried 3 different IDE
> > drives with the same result.
>
> Yup. I've used the very same drive under 2.0.32, 2.1.72, 2.1.84, 2.1.89 and 2.1.90 with the same result. With 2.1.90 or newer you can use the new cdrom interface to force the speed of the cdrom drive to say 2x or 4x wich will at least _avoid_ the proble
m. I get error-free reading under those conditions. There is a program (and debian package) called setcd you can use.

> My guess this is a hardware problem (to small buffer (256k)?)...
>
> --
> Jakob Borg
> jb@k2.lund.se [finger for PGP key]

When I tested this last night, I _had_ set my drive to its max speed
(call me impatient) using a little program I wrote to test my updates
to CDROM_SELECT_SPEED. Anyway, I didn't have the reported problem,
but (after my HD filled up after ~700 Megs) cdda2wav did report that
my drive didn't support CDDA. I think there is an error-handling bug
in cdda2wav that causes this. I did later check, and I did see some
packet errors in the kernel logs though... ( but then my wife wanted
to read her email, so I had to quit). Anybody want to poke about in
the cdda2wav source code to check for error handling bugs? I will
have a go at running cdda2wav tonight with my drive set to 1x (ugh!),
and see if I can see any kernel or cdrom errors. What is the latest
cdda2wav? I need to update the Debian package...

If there are _any_ cdrom errors in the kernel, I want to squash them
before 2.2 gets released. Right now, I know of:

1) cdu31a driver -- bugs reported with playing audio (details wanted)
( I am working on acquiring one of these. Anybody
know where docs can be found?)
2) sbpcd driver -- bugs reported with lockups after playing audio (details
wanted) BTW, I now own one of these so I can
work on this. Anybody know where docs on these are?)
3) ide-cd driver -- Strangeness with cdda2wav after 30 min playing(???)
4) ide-cd driver -- cdrom_eject with ejectflag=1 fails on drives like my
NEC-251 that cannot close their tray (because they
have no tray). I need to check drive capabilities first.
5) ide-cd driver -- Possible tray locking problem with certain changers
(my changer doesn't have this bug though...)

Anybody have any other cdrom bugs to report in the 2.1.x series? (Sorry, I am
not doing any work on 2.0.x.) As much detail as possible on exactly what
causes the bugs to show up helps! Anybody else want to help?

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org