Re: Pointers to driver interface changes?

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:46:41 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, William Earnest wrote:

> Would anyone suggest a summary source of the changes to the
> driver-kernel interface between 2.0.x and 2.1.x? I am trying to update
> an oddball driver that is working in 2.0.33 so it is usable with the
> current development kernels, and have hit compilation problems.
>
> I have located and accounted for the changes in:
>
> current->signal VS signal_pending()
>
> memcpy_tofs VS copy_to_user and friends
>
> get_fs_long VS get_user and friends
>
> select_wait VS poll_wait
>
> but am getting unexplained compiler errors in another area, not
> recognizing arguments of a function. From here it continues downhill. I
> am assuming some other symbol or structure has changed in a way that
> does not produce an immediate diagnostic, but causes gcc to get "out of
> sync" witth the source. Any leads or suggestions on tracing the problem
> source would be very much appreciated.
>
> Bill Earnest wde@fast.net Linux Powered
> Computers, like air conditioners, work poorly with Windows open.

This isn't a proprietary (NDA-needed) driver, is it? If not, could
you send us a copy of the compiler output, so we can see exactly
what the error messages are, and show us the offending lines.

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org