Re: More GGI opining

Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
26 Mar 1998 22:44:00 +0200

rik@keyline.co.uk (Rik Hemsley) wrote on 26.03.98 in <98032617033805.03273@reality.keyline.co.uk>:

> c) Stability
>
> X seems to have a habit of freezing some people's systems with particular
> hardware configurations. How will GGI improve upon this ? The stability of
> X is dependent on its drivers. The XFree86 distribution is stable in itself,
> but it relies on drivers written by those with the time or the need.
> GGI must be moving along the same lines. Surely the core developers aren't
> going to sit down with a room full of specs and hack away ?
> And if X can freeze the system, surely GGI in the kernel will do exactly the
> same with a broken driver ? I do not know the details of GGI's architecture
> yet, but I can't imagine how it will skirt that problem.

I think this is where the important error is. I believe the most important
reason for system freezes (actually, console freezes) is the coordination
between different console-using tasks - X, text mode console, SVGAlib,
DOSemu.

That's because, essentially, every one of these except text mode console
implements some sort of support for this in usermode. And that is what
dies.

Put that coordination into _one_ kernel driver instead, and those problems
should be gone forever.

MfG Kai