Re: Why Greased TCPpenguin?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rgen?= Sigvardsson (jorgen@wermland.se)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 23:08:02 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, David S. Miller wrote:

> From: ramune@zarathustra.calstatela.edu
> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:50:08 -0800 (PST)
>
> I usually use lynx to go and look up stuff on the web all the time,
> and from sites, I get these checksum errors. My transfer rates
> drop to about 70> bps and the checksum errors fill up my logs.

I have this problem too, but it happens all the time. I'm connected
using a modem/ppp and I'm using linux 2.1.91pre1. According to
ifconfig, I get a few recieve errors (about the same amount as I get
with 2.0.33), but I get ALOT of transmit errors and many of the errors
result in dropped packets. I've checked the kernel-messages and I find
nothing strange (except for that callout device cua0 is deprecated).

Is ppp partially proken in 2.1.90/91pre1?

> Note I said "sniff those specific connections", please always give
> some filtering options to tcpdump such as "host foo and port 80",
> lately a lot of people have send me tcpdumps full of "other noise"
> such as ARP requests etc. which make the logs more difficult to study.

If this is 'new' ppp-behaviour I can send some tcpdumps (I dont want to
flood you with tcpdumps if you are already working on it).

// Jorgen