Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Andreas Kostyrka (andreas@rainbow.studorg.tuwien.ac.at)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 13:55:26 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Andreas Fredriksson wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> > I don't need KGI. I'm running X on everything from $5 garage sale Trident
> > ISA cards to 8MB #9 PCI cards and in th 4+ years that I've been running
> > it on Linux, it's never crashed. Not once.
>
> I second that. The one thing which can happen is the X server flipping out
> due to bad configuration, but the machine can still be rebooted with the
> magic-threesome or through a rlogin session. Not a crash, more like a
> program malfunction. Once configured I wonder what you have to do to make
> X _crash_? With the new configuration utilities, these things happen
> _very_ rarely.
Nope. I've reproducable SYSTEM crashes when I zap (C-M-BackSpace) out of
XF86_S3V 3.3.1 -> The system is dead, no rebooting via the network.
Another thing that I've with XF86_S3, but this happens only one discless
486 (and not on it's twin, that *FUNNY*), that switching to textmode
leaves a messed up text console.

> > Please don't misunderstand me. I have no feelings about KGI one way or
> > the other. But I do know that /I/ don't need it. And I suspect that
> > the vast majority of Linux users feel the same way.
I need it. suid root binaries can crash the system. So either
(Just be disabling the IRQ. Another candidate for this is /sbin/clock,
that supposedly does this too. This bites the SMP folk, and as a reaction
the RealTimeClock was added as a kernel driver. So why can't this be
done too for graphics?)
> Exactly. Most X users run a window manager, a few applications (xjed,
> netscape, xterm, gimp etc.) and never do anything else with X. What would
> these people need GGI for? Nothing.
- stability.
- more hardware support (one driver for ALL graphics systems, be it
console, X11, etc.), so it makes writing drivers more easily.
- fullscreen mode for this application that benefit it.
- flexibility.
- speed. The GGI ppl have really thought long about intergrating
accelerated cards in a safe system.

Andreas