Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:45:53 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Larry McVoy wrote:

> : If you need X then you need KGI.
>
> I speak only for myself, but I suspect that all the other people that
> run X daily without it crashing would agree with me.

I don't crash X eiter but I have 2 newbie users on this machine that do it
by changing back and forth from text to X and back it's easy for them to
do and no way to recpver from it except reset from telnet.

> I don't need KGI. I'm running X on everything from $5 garage sale Trident
> ISA cards to 8MB #9 PCI cards and in th 4+ years that I've been running
> it on Linux, it's never crashed. Not once.

Load a few apps and change back and forth from X to text, or better yet
load a svgalib app and change from that to X.

> It may well be that there are some (many?) cards out there that make X
> crash systems. But I don't have any, and obviously there are a lot of
> other cards that don't make the system crash. If this were not true,
> X & Linux would be a huge problem.

I've tried several cards, they still do it.

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack
gmack@imag.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.