Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
26 Mar 1998 21:54:26 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.980326014814.202D-100000@localhost>,
Marek Habersack <grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl> wrote:
>On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Boris Tobotras wrote:
>
>> GGI Project Unhappy On Linux!
>I'm not crying about that...
>
>> build a graphics subsystem that will have to compete with the likes of
>> DirectX. IMHO, their software is getting bashed before its even run by
>> others.
>Hmm.... I'm sorry, but I have faced that kind of attitude from the GGI people
>that would scare off even the most offence-proof people. When I suggested (in
>a private talk - no names) that I write a driver for a) the Trident cards and
>b) a VESA 2.x interface I heard what follows:
>
>a) Tridents are SHIT! Nobody uses them and who does, either simply cannot
> afford a better card or doesn't know what are graphics cards for. Well, no
> comments...
>b) VESA is a DOS-only thing and WE (i.e. THEM) don't need it.
>c) They have their own programmers and the DON'T NEED anyone else

Well, this is a good reason to include KGI in the baseline kernel.

As it stands right now, you're at the mercy of the people who are
maintaining the code, but if KGI is ever glued into the baseline,
then people who want to write drivers for video cards that the GGI
core team Doesn't Approve Of can simply write them anyway and submit
them via the usual channels.

____
david parsons \bi/ Who'd love to have the KGI interface so I could look
\/ forward to a X server that won't eat my ViRGE card
when I had the temerity to switch consoles.