Re: Netscape brain-dead w/ 2.1.91

Hans-Christoph Rohland (hans-christoph.rohland@sap-ag.de)
29 Mar 1998 12:01:35 +0200

"Steven N. Hirsch" <shirsch@ibm.net> writes:
> All,
>
> Netscape still goes brain-dead under 2.1.91. Seems to work fine until you
> leave it for a while and return. At that point it becomes non-responsive
> and cannot even redraw. Attaching with gdb discloses that it's in
> select().
>
> This behavior started with 2.1.90p-whatever, and has been unrelenting
> since.
>
> Steve

Same with me...

Some more info: netscape is selecting read and write on X-socket. Read
is working fine, but write never gets signalled since the tcp-
sendqueue is not empty. It gets lowered on next tcp-timer event, but
often not emptied. When tcp-sendqueue is emptied, verything is fine
for a while...

All observations with strace and 'netstat -o'. The X-socket is
connected to the local ethernet ip-address.

Regards
Christoph

P.S: Dave, I do not have tcpdump output at hand, but can produce it tomorrow.