Re: analysis of swap performance

George Bonser (grep@oriole.sbay.org)
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:32:15 -0800 (PST)

Is this a "memory defrag" attempt by swapping the pages out and then
swapping them back in with the intent that it will get rid of "holes"? If
so, that might not be the right approach. It might be better (but more
expensive code-writing wise) to copy the pages down as holes develop. I
have a feeling that the swap out-in is an expediant to defrag RAM that
does not work well as RAM gets full and stuff is getting swapped in/out
nearly continuously but I am just guessing here.