Re: SUMMARY: GGI/X : the other way??

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 15:12:42 +0200

On Mar 29, Peter-Paul Witta wrote:

> *) X is somehow monolithic and not modularized enough. there are many
> options, GLX, DGA, Xmitshm, and "standard X" - and, last but not least,
> XAA. some of this options can be demand loaded, some cannot.

not true. ever looked at a commercial X server ?
ever asked XFree86 for future plans (they haven been stated often enough
and have been announced publically) ?

X _is_very_ modular, and XFree86 4.x will be completely modulariezed
thanks to the donation from Metro Link of there modul loading technology.
you'll be able to use the same S3 module for all ix86 based OSs up to
SCO, Solaris, OS/2 and whatever (remember that XFree86 is not a
Linux-only project, which is one more reason that a Linux-only (and maybe
some *BSDs too) kernel interface wouldn't be enough for all our supported
platforms and we'd still have to do the same user-level efforts for them
too (and while I'm only Linux myself I consider this as an _important_
point of freedom of X sources to support them in the future too!)).

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\