Re: GGI and cli/sti in X

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 15:45:17 +0200

On Mar 29, George wrote:

> Pardon my (extreme) ignorance of XFree86 internals and such but could a
> SIGSEGV signal handler be used? You know, "Hey, I received a SIGSEGV, I
> better restore the text screen and quit." (With, of course, setting a flag
> so that it doesn't try to restore the screen if it receives another SIGSEGV
> while restoring the screen.)

exactly what happens already for _many_ years ;-)

> Then if you do a 'kill -9' on the X server from an xterm, it's your own
> fault.

yep, what I was saying too.

but Kristian Koehntopp and Alan Cox mentioned, that the kernel might
issue that nasty `kill -9' too when running out of memory just when the
X server needs some more memory. so it can't be completely avoided
right now (maybe in the future? see other thread...) but it's much
less likely than talking about users doing `kill -9 ...'

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\