Re: WLinux -> Subverting Windows by making Linux available to MS users

Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:38:54 -0500 (EST)

> > > That can be done by writing a portable code and compiling it natively for both
> > > platforms - much easier than writing WLinux...
> >
> > WLinux is something you write once. I don't WANT to write Win32 apps...
> You don't have to. You can use a C++ library that is portable between the two
> OSes (there are some) or, if your app is console-centered, simply compile it
> with the gcc-Win32. Even DJGPP can produce Win32 apps without the need for
> Win32 knowledge (using EasyWin, or whatever it is called)

Yes, I knew about part of this.

> > In anycase, that's only one use of WLinux, there's also the learning,
> > 'trying it out' situations, and a number of others where having a true
> > Linux environment would be very useful.
> Hmm... now that I think of it, you might be right. But the important matter is
> the policy - how to make the Wusers know that they are actually using Linux,
> not Win32?

Easy enough to plaster on the windows, put up in banners, whatever.
It would be great to have a very nice desktop (K?) before rolling
something like this out to compete with Win95 seriously on GUI.

> > > I think that the only consequence would be winning more market for Micro$oft -
> > > the wouldn't announce that the non-crashing and better applications aren't
> > > their own, but created by independent vendor(s).
> >
> > You can look at it either way. In fact, you could just as easily
> > argue that it's increasing Linux's market share. As I mentioned
> > earlier, you could get to the point where Linux was running on more
> > desktops than Win95. (If you got most of the Win95 desktops to run
> > WLinux for any reason, this would be true.)
> Running itself isn't enough. People must know what they're running - and I
> still don't think that the average Joe Winuser will care what is under the
> hood as long as it looks like "those cute and easy to use Windows".

Again, in some cases this is ok: what's important is to get those Joe
Winusers to start using Linux apps, or rather to increase the
viability of the market for Linux apps to get more developed.

> > This would be a very forceful and influencing statement to make.
> Yes - if there's enough power to make it through the M$ money.

> > > WINE's pretty good already.
> >
> > Last I looked (about a month ago on the official websites) it wouldn't
> > even come close to running Corel Draw/Paint, AOL Client, MS
> > Word/Excel, WordPerfect, etc.
> I run M$ Word 6 on the latest snapshot. Didn't use it for anything serious,
> just started it. Also the Opera browser works just fine for me.

Impressive. The 32bit version or Win31 version?

sdw