Re: Magic in swap code. :-)

Stephane Casset (sept@renass3.u-strasbg.fr)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 13:45:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:

> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:34:38 +0200
> From: "Dr. Werner Fink" <werner@suse.de>
> Subject: Re: Magic in swap code. :-)
>
> > I am not a kernel hacker but a read carefully this thread about swap
> > performence...
> > And I have a idea, don't know if it is good or bad so here it is as is :
> >
> > Lets implement a state of kswap where it tries to pre-swap a page,
> > to pre-swap a page is just put it on disk mark it in the page structure
> > as being on disk but KEEP it in memory.
>
> This is how swap cache works :-)

Ooops ;) Sorry ;)
But how do you explain the massive io when swapping then ?
If the swap cache works as it should there should be very few disk
activity...

Keep the very good work ;)
Stephane
-----/ | << L'essentiel est invisible a l'oeil,
/ | on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. >>
/ | St. Exupery
/ | Stephane Casset : sept@renass3.u-strasbg.fr,
/ | casset@inforezo.u-strasbg.fr
/ | http://inforezo.u-strasbg.fr/~casset