Re: [kinda offtopic] cable modems under linux?

Jeff Morriss (morriss@cs.buffalo.edu)
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:32:24 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, BlueFlux wrote:

> I'm sorry for this question, however we are soon getting cable modems
> where i live so i thought i would ask you all if there is any support for
> this in the kernel?(or should this be in userland? nah...)
>
> I dont need an full answer, just some pointers to what to read and so
> on(and where to find it=)

[...]

At least here in Buffalo, NY, Adelphia's cable modems simply require a
10BaseT ethernet card (and kernel support for it:). They give you a box
which you plug into your cable line on one side and a 10BaseT wire on the
other. The other end of the 10BaseT wires goes into your machine... The
only other thing you need (here) is to have DHCP working... A friend of
mine has a page about his experiences with it at:

http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~milun/cable-modem.html

Of course, life on your side of the world might be *very* different...
You might want to check your (future) provider's web page for info.

At any rate, I hope this helps,
-J

--
Robert "Jeff"rey Morriss          CS Grad Student;  CS Labbie
morriss@pobox.com                 SUNY Buffalo (Buffalo, NY; USA)